Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Junmai Nama Genshu, artisansake, BC

I think they grind the grain and steam it in Japan, but otherwise its made here. And grain prep is pretty specialized, its not that different from roasting grain for beer... too much work.

Anyhow, I bought two bottles from here, and we opened this one (the Genshu) last Sunday, and I finished it the next night. A bit high at 18%ABV, but I toughed it out... apparently it'll go bad if you don't drink it.

I really liked it. I think it was a bit over $24 a bottle, which is a bit more expensive than wine, but if you decide to calculate by alcohol volume it might be a deal. Anyhow, soft, sweet, a bit vanilla-y, and overall very, very yummy.

I can't wait to open the next one, but will so I don';t get in trouble. Its an unfiltered sake, all milky in color. I tasted it down at the Granville Island location, and its very good, I liked it better than the Genshu at the time - maybe I should buy another Genshu so I can drink two bottles at once to better compare? Yes, good idea.

It wasn't quite as good as the Japanese sake we opened at the same time, but that's a bottle my Sensei brought me from Japan as a gift, and I can't even tell you the name because the only non-japanese on the entire bottle is numbers... (it's 50% something, and I'm sure thats not alcohol, I'll have to ask Yuko to translate for me).


artisansakemaker.com

No comments: